What Does the Community League do?
The Beacon Heights Community League helps to build a strong, diverse and proactive community by acknowledging and responding to the needs of our members and residents.
- We own and maintain two outdoor skating rinks and community building at Jubilee Park.
- We work to provide recreation, art, social and educational programs and opportunities.
- We organize, coach, and host and children’s baseball programs, Green Shack playground programs, and seniors programming and more.
- We partner with other local organizations to support provide health and wellness opportunities and social events within our community.
- We provide indoor change facilities, washroom access, and concession during July and August for playground and spray park users and through the winter months for skaters and hockey players.
- We organize fun inclusive events throughout the year.
What are our current big projects?
- Rink Building Renovations and expansion
- Abundant Communities Initiative
- Community Park Redevelopment
Where do we get our funding?
The Beacon Heights Community League has several sources of funding for different initiatives and projects.
- Our Annual Membership Drive is an important fundraiser. Having a large number of members helps us obtain more external funding. Membership fees help to offset the cost of community programs.
- We apply for grants through the City of Edmonton, the Province of Alberta and the Government of Canada.
- We host a casino every two years that is operated by our volunteers. This fundraising initiative provides the bulk of our funds for our operating budget.
- Fees from the sports teams assist in the cost of sports, such as uniforms, umpire fees, coaching clinics, etc.
- Raffle tickets, Grey Cup Pool tickets, etc.